Wednesday 19 August 2015

A Poor Burned Robber

by Amik Amri Rahmadhi

In one cloudy night, I invited my wife to go out of our house. I often took her out of the house about 10 p.m. to have dinner outside. My wife did not mind even though the weather was very cold outside of the house or even the rain that fell unexpectedly. "Dear, let’s go out for dinner", I asked her round for dinner. "Well, just look for near the house," she replied.

Half an hour later we went to the next village. On the road we passed, there were still many people who moved outside. So it made us not worry about our safety. We felt fear when we read out or watch TV news about there is still a murder because of robbery. I saw a street vendor who sold fried rice on the side of the road and immediately I stopped off. Then we ordered, "two plates servings of fried rice, Sir”. "Let's sit over there", I asked. I pointed to the empty right corner of the fried rice vendor.

The two plates of fried rice were served. Then we ate them up. What a special food and delicious fried rice is. Eating up, we occasionally discussed anything about our activities today. It was already an hour we were in this place. "How much we must pay, Sir? We had ordered two plates of fried rice and two cups of hot tea”, my wife asked to the vendor. "Well, they cost Rp. 25,000", he replied. "Here you are, Sir. Rest of five hundred rupiah is for you”, my wife gave of her money. "Thanks a million for your kindness. God bless you both!" he replied.

Suddenly, at the end of the complex, there were a lot of people. We heard that sounds became more rowdy. We felt that there was something wrong. We wondered what the hell was going on there. "Sir, What’s going on over there?", We asked to Mr. Sobir, a fried rice vendor. "Oh, I do not know, usually a thief who is caught". He answered. "What? A thief’s seized. Well, I think it is dangerous, let’s go there to secure the thief in order not to be judged by the masses", I asked my wife over there.

Arriving, we were so surprised. There we saw a young thin shirtless man who’s squatting on the ground surrounded by angry residents. They cursed, twitted, shouted, jeered concurrently, "kill him", "You’re villain", "bastard", "go to hell". Occasionally they also kicked, hit, grabbed his hair, and spitted that poor young thief. Yes, he was a young thief with straight black hair and brown-skin. His mouth bled hard and his eyes looked bluish black. He seemed so weak, no spirit and energy, and unable to stand. He said, “Sorry, I am so sorry, please forgive me!”. He always said that in order to protect himself from the threat of masses that were very angry over his criminal action, stealing or robbery. 

"Stop!, please stop!, never hit and kick him again", with a vengeance and loudest sound I shouted out stop to end this torture. A soon as the masses were quite. Then one of them approached me and said, "who are you?, Are you one of his three compatriots who escaped successfully from us?”.

I answered immediately, "No, I am not. I come from the next village. I am with my wife, I'd come from dinner". I embraced my wife in order that she felt safe. "Do you know who this young man is? Actually he is a very ruthless robber. We know they robbed foursome but we only catch one of them. He brings a long sharp knife and just hurts a girl who had returned from work.

I finally knew that the young poor man who is dying in front of me was a sadist who did not have mercy. Then I ventured to say, "Of course, sir I know. The problem is, let the police arrest him! Never let us do anarchy. We are in the state that has the law on this.

Laughing, that unknown old man replied, "What did you say? We are in the rule of law? Yes I know ... ", unfinished his reply, suddenly people around us getting active to hit. "Stop", I shouted hardly to stop this brutality. My voice was not proportional to remind them. They were so crowded and yelled together. "Sorry sir, forgive me sir, please!" he repeated his words in order to get forgiveness and hoped they stopped their violence.  .

Unexpectedly, someone flushed that helpless body with a bottle of gasoline and the other man threw a cigarette butt on him. "bluur”, a huge flash fire burned that young poor man. He was screaming in pain as he said, "O Allah, please God, O Robb, please ". I screamed in pain so. My heart felt very sad because I could do nothing. Sorry I could not help you, my blue heart said. My wife and I wept hardly.

It was already half an hour we were glued in this very hot place. The mass’ rumbling began to be quite. The poor young's screams were not heard anymore. One by one the crowd began to leave this hell. Some of them ran away immediately in order to avoid the police who will soon came. Being moved, we went up to the corpse who was still cloaked in fire. He got laid down and his hands were upturned. I squatted beside him and started to talk to him as if he were still alive.

"Sir, I'm so sorry about this. I wish I were all the mass that came earlier. God willing, you can talk to me now", I said while wiped my tears. "What make you do like this? Do you want to feed your family? Or you want to help the poor?. I watched him and I closed my nose with a handkerchief. A pungent odor and smoke made me uncomfortable. Then, I heard people shouted, "Run… run… run… quickly. Police is coming!”.

I was still at my place where I squatted. I continued to talk to him, "Sir, May god bless you. God is the omniscient, the forgiver. If you knew this was wrong, maybe you do not do this stupid thing. The path you pass is right but it is so wrong", I advised the burned bodies. "Actually, I do not know who you really are. But I know you are the one who is like me, a man who may do some mistakes. An Ordinary people who will make some mistakes during their life is an ordinary people. May God forgive you and bless you, friend! May God forgive us!".

"Hand up!, we are police. You are arrested! You have to come with us to the office police now"

Mengajak = ask out, ask round, ask over
Berhenti = stop off
Menghabiskan makan = eat up
Memberanikan diri= venture

Search box

Custom Search
free counters

Total Pageviews